sqeaky pedal spring

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 05:51:18 MDT 2007

On our Steinway M at church, on Palm Sunday, suddenly the sustain pedal began squeaking during the quiet communion music!  I've traced it to the pedal spring.  Must I remove the pedal lyre and dismantle the trapwork to get to it?  I've rebuilt pedal lyres and the trapwork, so I'm comfortable with that work, but have not yet had to diagnose and fix squeaks such as this.  Can I shoot some graphite spray onto the spring?

Reblitz and the Field Guide to Repair were no help.

I noticed that the wooden pedal lyre supports were not fully seated in their holes in the bottom of the piano, and a section of the pedal box needs tightening.  However, I don't think those two items will fix the problem.

Gotta be ready for Maundy Thursday service. . .

Richard Morgan

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265