sqeaky pedal spring

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Apr 4 06:31:25 MDT 2007

Richard,

            The pedal spring? Do you mean the spring on the lever under the
keybed?

There are no springs at the pedals on a M.

            If it's the flat spring I mentioned you can remove the rod from
the back of the pedal and remove the lever by pulling out the pin.

            You will usually find a pile of dried graphite on the spring and
the leather. Replace the leather if necessary. Or clean the crap off, clean
the spring and lube with V.J. Replace the punchings on either side of the
lever if necessary and lube anything that touches something else including
the pin with a thin film of V.J.

            Also check the guide rail bushings and the metal rod for
graphite at the bushing and at the top where it engages the lever.

            The Steinway pedal system is a dream to work on. You can remove
the pedal assembly by removing the six screws on the plate and pull the
whole thing out without removing the lyre. The fix (If necessary) for noise
or loose pedals will be obvious.

            Your post mentioned the lyre supports were not seated in the
bottom of the piano -. Question? What is the bottom of the piano?

            Also I'm not sure what you mean by the pedal box needs
tightening. Is it a glue joint failure? Figure out those two problems first
--they may be related.

 One last thing--- Go to your nearest landfill -transfer station -dump---
AND THROW THE GRAPHITE AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!

            Good luck,

            Tom Driscoll

  _____

On our Steinway M at church, on Palm Sunday, suddenly the sustain pedal
began squeaking during the quiet communion music!  I've traced it to the
pedal spring.  Must I remove the pedal lyre and dismantle the trapwork to
get to it?  I've rebuilt pedal lyres and the trapwork, so I'm comfortable
with that work, but have not yet had to diagnose and fix squeaks such as
this.  Can I shoot some graphite spray onto the spring?

Reblitz and the Field Guide to Repair were no help.

I noticed that the wooden pedal lyre supports were not fully seated in their
holes in the bottom of the piano, and a section of the pedal box needs
tightening.  However, I don't think those two items will fix the problem.

Gotta be ready for Maundy Thursday service. . .

Richard Morgan