CA glue questions

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Apr 4 11:19:46 MDT 2007

Rex -
Addressing the question of odor, I know that Satellite City makes an
odorless product.
http://www.caglue.com/faq.html
A number of people carry it.  I've gotten mine (regular, not
UFO)  from Dryburgh  800-GLUEALL. It is a good deal more expensive, I think.

The molecular weight of the odorless (UFO) is heavier, allowing the
fumes to drop away from the applicants face, however, if you are
using a fan to circulate the air, it would seem that the benefit is
negated.  I haven't actually used the UFO so I can't give a
first-person account. While the fumes are classified as not toxic,
they can be a significant respiratory irritant, as I discovered a few
years ago.  I would use a cartridge type respirator if I were doing
another, perhaps along with goggles.   You say it's new, sealed
construction.  How sealed?  Do the windows open?  I would certainly
look for a way of establishing air exchange.

I'll let someone else deal with the second part in any detail, but I
assume you would remove strings and that it can fill gaps.  I'm not
sure what the choice would be between CA and thin epoxy.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY