Mac Database advice

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Wed Apr 4 11:15:56 MDT 2007

On 4, Apr 2007, , at 6:47, Dave Doremus wrote:

> Anyone have any Mac database suggestions? Im about to upgrade my
> creaky G3. Ive been using Filemaker 4, just at a quick glance the
> newer versions (8 and 8.5) get really mixed reviews and mention all
> kinds of problems importing from older editions. Are there better
> options? Any help appreciated as always.
> --
> ----Dave

I went through the same process when I first got my MAC.  After
looking at
a bunch of different options, including Filemaker (which I thought
was expensive),
I settled on MYSQL.   It is free.  You have to learn how to write SQL
to use
it; no fancy screen-oriented user interface.  But it handles quite
large databases
very well, provides full backup facilities, and, when coupled with a
scripting language
such as PHP, it builds web-page displays of data very easily, which
you can then
access from your browser.   It also runs on a wide variety of other
hardware
so is "portable".  (I am not associated with the MYSQL folks--just a
user).