OT: Windows Vista

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Apr 5 08:47:27 MDT 2007

Thoughtful articulate posts by all (or mostly
all), yes, including Duaine.  No point in taking
space copying any here.  I think Duaine's posts,
while perhaps sometimes a bit highstrung, serve
as a useful reminder. The discussion seems
somehow related (though I don't know how) to one
of my favorite cartoons (from an early Playboy,
actually...before I was of age) which was of a
patient on a psychiatrist's couch, talking, while
some villainous individual was creeping through
the door, holding a large knife,  the caption of
which read, of course: "Just because you're
paranoid, don't think they're not really out to get you".

I think Paul and Stéphane are correct in the
points they make...that there are problems with
any system, and that you can acknowledge the
imperfections and still embrace technology (I
think that's what they're saying). But Duaine
keeps challenging us, suggesting that we have
options, if we choose to see them.  I think many
are like myself...overwhelmed by and resentful of
the need to either geekify or hire one in order
to run our lives.   Ultimately, it seems to have
to do with how much control (or the illusion of such) you want to have.

Thanks to all for the periodic topical OT's.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY