Baldwin E

Bill Costanzo pnotuner at rochester.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 14:48:13 MDT 2007

Hello all,

I need to replace the hammers and shanks on this piano and I’m not sure what
the best way to proceed is.

It’s a Baldwin model E. 5’4” ; Serial # 13880 circa 1906.

First of all, the shanks are not conventional; the knuckles are more
pear-shaped, like the Brambachs.

So I’m wondering if I should I refelt and repin these or can I replace them
with new ones that have regular knuckles?

And if so, how would I measure the old ones to get the appropriate
replacements?

Also wondering what you might think about Ronsen wurzens as the hammer
choice.

The only hammers I’ve used in the past were Imadigawa but I think they might
be too bright.

Any suggestion and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Costanzo

“The Grand Ole Upright”

--