OT: Windows Vista marketing 'deceived' consumers

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:45:07 MDT 2007

Well, it IS Micro$oft, which is a very big company (understatement) which
LOTS of people love to hate. You're not alone in that, Duaine. We have
options... we can struggle with Linux, or we can take care to back up our
data, as we would likewise need to do with Linux or any of the multitude of
other OS's I've told you I've used over my 25 years in that career.

If it was an oil company, we have options... most of which do not entail
being able to turn our backs on the company, but we CAN (and most assuredly
SHOULD) do our utmost to not waste the product that they (and their
shareholders, which may very well include a large number of people who love
to hate them) are getting obscenely wealthy on. This afternoon it went from
$2.51 to $2.79... are you spewing hate about Exxon and Hummers? No. Guess
what? Those and other companies like them are responsible, as is the US
Gov't. Not us who have driven fuel-efficient vehicles for, well, forever.

If it was an electric utility, same thing... except we can go an ADDITIONAL
step further and buy from an electric co-operative that provides electricity
generated by wind and/or solar... or we can generate our own power that way.

These aren't secrets, Duaine. You're not informing anyone anything. They are
well-known facts. Furthermore, you completely ignore the OTHER well-known
facts about companies like Micro$oft... that SOME of their products
(including XP/SP2 and Service-Pack'd-to-be Vista) are indeed high quality,
powerful, enjoyable to use tools that happen to have a few bugs here and
there. Service Packs and Windows Updates are a lot like a recall on your
vehicle. My 2000 VW Passat has had two (minor) recalls. That doesn't make it
a danger to drive... I've put 135,000 miles on it without vehicle-induced
problem. I've put three or four years on Windows XP Pro... innumerable hours
of operation. Have I had problems? Sure. Have I irrecoverably lost important
data? Absolutely N-O-T. Why? I take obvious precautions. The same
precautions I took with the other seventeen OS's. Do I love XP? No. Do I
Hate it? No. Do I love Mac OS-X? Certainly not. Ditto SuSE, RedHat,
oh-yeah... I forgot Ubuntu. They all have their strengths and their own set
of weaknesses. Be ever vigilant of the real villains (spammers, phishers,
virus-writers, etc.) and your worries will cease to annoy the pants off the
rest of us. We're not offended... just annoyed. Please cease.

Paul