sic transit.... looking backwards and forwards

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Apr 6 05:22:58 MDT 2007

Hyperion are so good!  Always a fabulous recorded sound quality.

I knew that Angela Hewitt had got a Fazioli which she was now recording on,
but I've not yet bought any of those CDs. I have her earlier one of Bach
Transcriptions, on a Steinway.  I do have the Hyperion CD of Peirs Lane
playing Bach transcriptions, and that's on a Fazioli.  I've heard snatches
of Hewitt's Hyperion Couperin CD on the car radio.  I think she is also now
recording Beethoven sonatas.

I know it's shameful of me, but I don't mind the sound of the Bosendorfer in
that link with the Brahms!  Somehow they can sound warm and exciting in
recordings.  Has it come your way, at all, to play or hear the Stuart and
Sons grand in Wales?  I have a couple of CDs of recordings on his first one,
in Australia. I'm not entirely convinced, somehow.  The sound is piercing,
but I'm not sure it's more satisfying.  I think subsequent pianos have been
different, though?

Poor Hyperion by the way, losing that copyright suit.  A rather perverse
decision by the judge, I think. With HUGE implications for orchestras
worldwide.

Best regards,

David Boyce.

P.S. Is anything a better showcase for Baldwin than Earl Wild's recordings!

I have recently been listening to Angela Hewitt, who plays Fazioli.
The Hyperion site
<http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/artist_page.asp?name=hewitt> gives
very generous downloads of samples of her playing, and I must say I
find the piano in these exceptional.  Try these for example:

<http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/MP3Audio/67306-10.m3u>
<http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/MP3Audio/67342-13.m3u>

I like particularly the clarity and balance of the bass and low tenor
both in staccato and sustained notes, which I consider most
important.  The Fazioli lacks the soupy quality of the Steinway in
this area.  As to the Bösendorfer bass the less I say the better.  I
may be wrong but I guess this is a B.:

<http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/MP3Audio/67472-06.m3u>

and I think it's B awful!

JD