SV: Re: Reverse Torque tuning pins & reverse crown

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 19:25:20 MDT 2007

I recall that at Baldwin, about 15 years ago, they used a go-no-go gauge
which was used to check each and every tuning pin that was used in their
grand production.  If I remember correctly, it was discovered that rolled
pins tended to be slightly out-of round (oval shaped in cross section), and
less so with cut threads.  This was their reasoning for using cut threads
rather than rolled threads.  Pins that were found to be outside their
tolerance for diameter were set aside in grand production to be used in
upright production.  In other words, a wider tolerance was allowed for
upright, and a narrower tolerance for grands.  I do not recall what the
exact tolerances were in either case.

Frank Emerson