Treadway

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 9 06:21:40 MDT 2007

Sorry, I can't help you, but I can tell you this (which you can tell your client after failing to find out anything about this Treadway piano): in Chicago at the turn of the century there were over 300 piano manufacturers.  In New York, there were another 300.  Cincinnatti, ditto.  Probably west coast, too.  It was difficult and expensive to move pianos over long distances prior to the advent of motor vehicles.  Cheaper to make them locally and ship them shorter distances.  One hundred years later, it's a bit difficult to trace an individual manufacturer's info, since so many of them went under in the 30s-40s, which was 75+ years ago.  Add to that "sticker pianos", pianos which sported the name of the piano store but was manufactured by someone else and it's a can of worms difficult to decipher so many years later.

  I wish you luck in your search for info.  Wish I had something substantial to share with you.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

  P.S.

  Does "Stein" in German mean "Tread" in English?  ...hmmmm....

pianowerks.inc at comcast.net wrote:
    Greetings list,

  I tuned a piano for a client and he wants more info on it.  The Pierce atlas has the name listed with no further info.  (I checked Pierce's online options but am too dam cheap to pay $5 for them to give me a manufacture date;p

  So I appeal to the wisdom of the list:

  Anyone heard of / have info regarding a "Treadway" piano? ( #39042?).  It looks pretty much like any other large vertical from the early 1900's.  (had an awesome pinblock btw).

  Thanks for any info you might have.

  Brad Haskins