Lowrey grand problem update

John Cole johnspianotech at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:41:41 MDT 2007

Hey guys--
I'm the new tuner guy that emailed you guys about the grand damper problem a
few weeks back. Thanks for the replies. I went to the client's house
Thursday night. I still didn't figure out the damper problem, but I did fix
the original problem she had called me concerning but could not describe
accurately.
After I had tuned her piano a couple of months back, she called me back
saying she had a problem with the G# 4; could I come out and re tune the
note. I checked all the strings on that note and they were still in tune,
but noticed the damper problem. Fast forward to Thursday. After taking the
action out and putting it back in I tested things out by pressing the left
pedal to shift the action while also holding the sustain pedal (a test I did
not try when I had gone back to re tune). Both the G# and the G were hitting
the left string of the adjacent note in the shifted position. I shimmed the
hammers to raise the right sides just a hair and the problem was fixed. I
asked her if her initial problem was hearing both the G# and the A at the
same time. She said yes. I was glad to satisfy that problem, but the damper
problem is still a mystery.
I have arranged with Bill Yick (Arkansas PTG president) to email him digital
pictures to help me figure it out once I can get a camera out there. The
enigma is that while the action is out, everything seems to swing the right
way. I can also reach in and manipulate each of the damper underlevers by
hand and notice the free movement of each. However, with the action
installed, G# lifts both its damper and the G damper. G# however in no way
shape or form affects the G hammer or whippen assembly. G hammer stays
perfectly still. An interesting note, the problem is different depending on
the angle of key strike. I can press G# approaching from the upper right
side of the key and the problem is not bad at all. I can press G# from the
left side, and the problem happens every time. This tells me it almost HAS
to be the end of the G# key lever. However, when I look at the other end,
everything looks like it should with nothing out of place. I even took out
the hammer stack so I could remove both keys. No worn or smooth spots or
splinters that could indicate that the keys were rubbing, and the felt was
behaving as well. I just wish I could see past the stack to where the key
lever lifts the damper underlever while the action is installed, of course
that would make the job easy. Maybe I'll email those pictures to you guys as
well as soon as I get a camera out there. I'll try to make an appointment
with her for next Monday.
John Cole
Clinton, AR