broken agraffe

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 23:11:25 MDT 2007

  Patrick,

 When I ordered an agraffe from Steinway not long ago, I spoke with tech support. They didn't recommend an ez-out, though I'd used one before on another piano successfully.

 Brass is hard, but the steel used in most screwdrivers is harder. What they suggested is to cut a slot in the top of the jagged edge of the so that it could be unscrewed. I used a screwdriver about twice as big as the kind you use for eyeglasses, the kind with steel handles that comes in a set of 6 of varying degrees of smallness.

 Per Steinway recommendation, I very gradually tapped a slot across the top, first by hitting straight down(not too hard, just enough to get a slight indent), then tapping along the indent with the corner of the screwdriver blade in order to make the indent into a slot.

 The suggestion was to "think like a jeweler," and use small movements. It took some patience, but eventually I got a slot large enough to get a bite with the screwdriver, and out it came. They generally aren't screwed in particularly tight.

 Hope this helps
    Dave Stahl, RPT

 Dave Stahl Piano Service
 650-224-3560