Franz Mohr in Moscow

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 12 21:52:16 MDT 2007

David,
Compare a north American piano such as Steinway
to a fine European piano such as Sauter or
Fazioli or [you choose] and you will be inclined
to accept that "bell-like tone" addage the way
you describe it.  The American tonal tradition is
very rich in harmonics and it works for many of
us.  The Austrian tonal tradition, on the other
hand, has cleaner more harmonized sound where the
tenor is clean and dense chords can be heard in
detail where they would be muddy on a Steinway, for example.

We have an old restored Everett Concert grand
side by side with a Sauter semi-concert grand and
can go back and forth between them.  The
differences are not subtile.  The Everett dates
back to the "golden-age" of American piano
building and its tone is reminiscent of a fine
Steinway.  The Sauter has a clearer tone that
allows complex harmonies to be heard in detail
and is much more powerful in the treble with a
longer singing sustain then I encounter in most American pianos.

That said, there are interesting differences to
be explored in all the finest pianos.  Americans
have gone for that thick brash "bell-like"
tone.  There is a Nordic/Russian tonal tradition
too that is ultra bright, even harsh.  A good variety to satisfy any taste...

Andrew Anderson