Ecsaine as key bushing material

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Apr 12 12:34:27 MDT 2007

My own 1930s Weissbrod upright has leather key bushings and I've encountered
them on other German pianos of the period.

David.

"I now use calfskin strips for most key-bushing jobs.  My supplier
(Baumgärtel) has two thicknesses -- 0.9mm and 1.1mm, which is 35, 43
thou, and that is fine for many European pianos.  American pianos
must be very different. I personally would not waste my time using
any material that has not proved itself to last at least 50 years,
and leather bushed keys I know will last for 100 years of moderate
use.

JD"