Brown bag temperament test Re: Temperament selection (was: Franz Mohr in Moscow)

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 11:17:24 MDT 2007

  Ed, Jon, List,

 Some musings on the subject...

 I'd be really interested in hearing more different types of temperaments compared on different types of pianos. A class comparing many different tunings might good for a convention offering. I'd certainly attend.

 Take, say, 10 pianos and tune them using various historical temperaments, and one to ET.

 Only two or three "master tuners" would know which pianos were tuned using which temperament.

 Another panel of HT experts would try and figure out which piano was tuned which way.

 The rest of us could have fun and learn alot.

 Yesterday one of my long-term clients gave me a copy of an book review of "How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (and why you should care)" by Ross Duffin from the Wall Street Journal. While I haven't read the entire article or the book, the title makes it clear what it's about.

 I explained the ongoing debate to my customer, and she was fascinated. I proceeded to tune the middle two octaves C3 to C5 on her ancient Brambach Baby using a Valotti Well as prescribed by Tunelab while she did crossword puzzles in the kitchen. I played her a string of major chords, and her face went from smiley at an F triad to scrunched up in puzzlement at the F# triad.

 I ended up tuning to ET, but the merits of other temperaments shouldn't be overlooked.

 Thanks for reading,
    Dave Stahl, RPT