Brown bag temperament test

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Apr 13 12:35:27 MDT 2007

I'll second the recommendation of Dr Duffin's fine book...and it only
takes a couple of hours to read, with his clear and straightforward
writing.  The book:
http://www2.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall06/006227.htm
Duffin's web page of listening examples, soon after the book:
http://music.cwru.edu/duffin/Norton/Letter.html

Plus, if we're comparing: Vallotti is one of the relatively crass and
unsophisticated (while remaining useful) temps, compared with the
Neidhardt and Sorge and Bach temps that allow two *different* sizes of
tempered 5ths.  1/12 and 1/6, not only 1/6 as Vallotti has.  I'm not
terribly fond of Vallotti anymore, because it sounds so lousy in F#, and
worse in Db and Ab.

A few weeks ago in California, I did a lecture/demo where I had two
harpsichords set up in four different temperaments.  Regular 1/6 comma
and Vallotti were on the two manuals of one harpsichord, and the Bach
and equal were on the two manuals of the other one.  I played a bunch of
musical examples on all four of these, and spent quite a bit of time
playing a "Twinkle twinkle little star" harmonization in the four keys
of F major, Ab, B, and D.  People afterward said this was tremendously
ear-opening.  They also remarked that the dull sameness of equal grew
old rather quickly, next to the liveliness of these others....  Regular
1/6, Vallotti, and the Bach all have the same naturals F-C-G-D-A-E as
one another; it's the handling of the other six notes that really make
the big differences of character.

The "Twinkle" arrangement is printable from this page:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/affekt.html
The lecture and concert notes from that week are here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/2007mar13.htm

One of my papers about all this stuff, from thinking about these scales
from a Do-Re-Mi standpoint:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/art.html

Brad Lehman
http://www.larips.com