Front Rail Bushings

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 21:20:50 MDT 2007

Matthew:

A small seamstress' steam iron is perfect for controlling the amount of steam one needs to remove bushing felt. You do not need a damp rag. Just apply the steam directly to the bushings for a calculated period of time to loosen the glue joint (one hopes hide glue), pluck out the loose bushings with a tweezer, and insert Spurlock's sizing cauls overnight to allow the wood to return to the dimension you want to work with in replacing the felt, however you might do it. The steam, properly controlled, and moved along in a business like fashion, will not (should not) affect the keytops. Actually, the hot dry iron and damp rag procedure is exactly what we use to remove ivory when doing keytop replacement.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)