Front Rail Bushings

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Apr 15 12:45:22 MDT 2007

I'm confused or curious about a few of the responses to this question.
 From John Delacour come the information about the greater efficacy
of cold water in softening hide glue.  Can John explain why this
would be so?  If we are already using Dif and or alcohol as wetting
agents, there should be no reason to use hot water, if its only
purpose is to overcome surface tension.  Also, regarding Bill
Spurlock's sizing cauls, which I use, I wonder...I can see how they
would work if you want to reduce the mortise size to a uniform width
by wetting and glue sizing.  The fibres are expanded and then fixed
in their new dimension by the glue sizing.  However, if the minimum
amount of water is applied to wet the cloth and glue, without
over-saturating the wood, there would be minimal dimensional change
in the wood to begin with, thus making the cauls superfluous?  If the
wood IS saturated, the expansion would seem to have already taken
place by the time the bushings are removed, especially if they are
left for a number of hours, as some of the posts suggest.  In that
case, what is happening to the fibers as the key drys?  Do they
return to their original dimension or do they remain expanded?  If
you insert the sizing caul into the wetted mortise after removing the
bushing, what happens? Fibre crushing?  If the caul is tight when
wood is wet, and loose when dry, how much control is there over the
amount of shrinkage?  Is there a glue sizing effect from residual
glue?   Wouldn't it be more consistent to allow the wood to expand
(stabilize) and then go through with a sized file when dry?

If I dug up Spurlock's instructions, I'd probably want to unsend the
above.  Oh well.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY