new freeware to visualize single-string beats and inharmonicity

R Barber bassooner42 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 03:21:22 MDT 2007

Piano techs with Macs & OSX:

Inharmoviz is a very very small program that visualizes the note A1, as
measured by my Verituner 100, on four pianos (9', 7', upright, and
spinet).  The software recreates the tone digitally and displays it in
three visual manners.  The result is a display of the beats present in
single piano strings, and a way to compare the relative instability
among the four sizes.

It's cost-free and virus-free. Inspired by this afternoon's thread on
pianotech, I compiled it this evening using Cycling 74's Max/MSP.
Enjoy!  Sorry I don't have the Windows compiler.  If one of you do, I'd
be happy to send you the abstraction.

http://pianoregulation.com/inharmonicity/

Richard Barber
Santa Clara Valley