Front Rail Bushings

vince mrykalo madvinmryk at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 14:15:55 MDT 2007

JD,
  What do you do when a different glue has been used, other than Hot hide?

At 3:04 pm -0700 14/4/07, Matthew Todd wrote:

>What is the best way to remove front rail bushings if I'm not
>replacing keytops. The reason I ask this is because the way I was
>taught to remove the bushings was with a hot iron and damp rag.
>Well, that'll work fine if I'm replacing keytops at the same time
>since the steam will work the tops loose. But I want to remove
>front rail bushings only, and I want to find out something that will
>work better.

I have never used steam to remove anything in 35 years. Use hot
water with a few drops of detergent to soak the bushings, leave them
for a an hour or two or for as long as it takes and then lift out the
bushings with flat nosed pliers. The whole job will take less than
half an hour. Needless to say, the water that actually does the work
is by then cold, and anyone who works with animal glue knows that
glue is softened more quickly with cold water than with hot. The
purpose of using hot water is simply to overcome surface tension so
that the water soaks immediately through the cloth.

I used to use an eye-dropper or pen-filler to apply the water but
quite recently invented a new tool and made one also for a colleague
of mine, who has now told me three times how pleased he is with the
method. I'll take a picture when I can find it, but the principle is
that of an old dip-pen. The tool is made from a bamboo chopstick (a
hammer-shank will also do) with a slit that will hold just enough
water to soak one bushing. When you dip it in the water it picks up
just the right amount and when you touch it on the cloth, that water
is drawn into the bushing and there is no spillage.

JD

      Vince Mrykalo RPT MPT
  University of Utah

  "Minél több a változás, annál nagyobb az állandoság"

  2007 Pacific Northwest Convention
  Salt Lake City Utah
  April 11-14

 www.mrykalopiano.com