1800's John Broadwood grand

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 19 21:50:39 MDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Dave McKibben quoth:

>What is the general perception of an 1800's era John Broadwood grand
>piano with respect to rebuilding and value??

My thoughts, which may not be everyone's (i.e. flame suit on :-0).
These pianos do not have a lot of intrinsic value unless they are
very early. Most of what you will find are late 19th century and do
not vary a lot from piano to piano. I have restored, not rebuilt, a
number of these. You will need to plug the pinblock and redrill for
the smallest tuning pins you can get, 1/0 or less. See what Jurgen
Goering has. Otherwise you can run into problems at the struts. They
do not play or sound like modern pianos, and should not be expected
to. Except for one at Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, MD all the
Broadwoods I have worked on are in private homes where they are
expected to stay in tune, if not at pitch, and perform at the
occasional party or family gathering. They are more valued for
appearance and age then for performance. This does not mean they
should be disrespected as instruments. For the time they were quite
successful, if different from what we expect from a piano. If you are
going to work on one, start with the goal of keeping to its design
and you cant go too far wrong. The action is more like an upright
than a modern grand and will take some feeling your way through, the
dip should be shallow, the aftertouch almost non existent, lost
motion as small as possible. Dampers are borderline at best, do not
try to redesign them, copy what's there. For my money, and the
British technicians with more experience may disagree, the Collards
and Kirkmans were better instruments, but the Broadwoods must have
been more popular judging by the numbers that survive. I hope this
helps a bit.
--
----Dave