iron wound strings

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 20 17:53:27 MDT 2007

Hi William,

I was hoping a more experienced sort would respond to your post, but I see
you haven't had much response. My crude understanding is that the iron
windings may not last as long and generally just don't work as well as
copper wound strings. I believe a good string scaler can improve a scale by
eliminating iron wound strings and replacing with copper. I would expect
that properly scaled copper wound strings can be made to blend into the
scale more smoothly than the iron.

For sure, you need to get all this from someone more experienced with iron
wound strings and rescaling than I. IMHO, the best route would be to discuss
this with a good rescaler directly. Let us know what you find out and what
you end up doing.

Terry Farrell