SV: iron wound strings

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Sat Apr 21 02:31:57 MDT 2007

William,
There were even manufacturers who blended iron and cupper wound strings. It can be seen in old pianos where they have put in iron wound strings before the tenor breake. This was not done because the cupper was expensive or so but simply because of tone quality benefits.
Iron wound strings are not bad at all - they have another sound and some people like it and some dont.
Aras

"William R. Monroe" <pianotech at a440piano.net> skrev: Hi folks,

How about iron wound strings?  I've a client with a rather old Baldwin that
has iron wound strings, in need of a new pinblock/strings, etc.  The client
is interested in keeping the strings iron wound and I've never replaced
irons wound with copper wound.  Are there pitfalls to be aware of?  What
kind of tonal difference would one expect if we were comparing new iron to
new copper?  I'd also be interested in arguments in favor of and against
keeping them iron.

Many thanks,
William R. Monroe

Låt vårkänslorna spira.