iron wound strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 13:50:03 MDT 2007

> Thanks for the input everyone.  It seems there isn't much compelling
> reason to NOT use Iron wound strings should the client really want
> that.  Just different tonally than copper wound strings.  Ron N, Ron O,
> David A, Dale E, any input?

I don't have much experience with wraps other than copper,
other than seeing them in pianos from time to time, like in
the Everett and Gulbransen consoles. My take is that if it was
done for tone quality, it didn't work too well. I've thought
that, since iron and aluminum are both (to differing degrees,
obviously) lighter than copper, strings could be more easily
built with iron or aluminum wrap that would be problematic
with the small diameter copper it would take for the same core
and tension. I'd say throw the scale into a spreadsheet and
see what you have first, then decide what to do about it.

> Client says he really likes the tone of this old grand (probably
> original hammers, and beat up action to boot).

Sure, but compared to what?
Ron N