Steinway D value

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 11:18:30 MDT 2007

In a message dated 4/22/2007 8:36:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tomtuner at verizon.net writes:

The piano is an ebony D 1967 .
    In my opinion although playable this piano is rebuilding stock.

    Plate has that bronzy-crinkle finish I've seen on  S and S piano's from
the mid             sixties.

Tom,

I'll let others deal with the value, but just a couple of peripheral issues -
I'd check the serial number again. I think the piano might be earlier. I
don't think I've seen the crinkly plate finish later than the fifties, although
others might know better. Also, if it's 1967, it should be Teflon.

If it's not Teflon, I've seen verdigris in pianos from the fifties; so with
the moisture level indicated by the mold, I'd remove and double-check some
flanges.

Bob Davis