Steinway D value

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Apr 22 11:38:04 MDT 2007

Bob,

            You may be right.

            I seem to remember a list thread where it was stated that the
concert pianos had a different serial # run.

I'll call Margaret @ customer service in NY tomorrow and check this out.

            Thanks,

            Tom D.

  _____

The piano is an ebony D 1967 .

    In my opinion although playable this piano is rebuilding stock.

    Plate has that bronzy-crinkle finish I've seen on  S and S piano's from
the mid             sixties.

Tom,

I'll let others deal with the value, but just a couple of peripheral issues
- I'd check the serial number again. I think the piano might be earlier. I
don't think I've seen the crinkly plate finish later than the fifties,
although others might know better. Also, if it's 1967, it should be Teflon.

If it's not Teflon, I've seen verdigris in pianos from the fifties; so with
the moisture level indicated by the mold, I'd remove and double-check some
flanges.

Bob Davis

  _____

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .