Boston Damper tray tool

Chuck Beck mrchuckbeck at mail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:25:45 MDT 2007

Concerning the question on loose Boston grand damper tray screws:

If you haven't done any disassembly of the damper tray yet, you may not
have to.  I have several Boston GP178s I care for at University here and
have had several occasions to get in on these silly screws and have
devised a simple method to save redoing a perfectly good damper
regulation.  Take a regular thin 6" steel rule (one that you don't like)
and make a crisp 90 degree bend at 3mm, then again the opposite way at
30mm.  Now you have a very slim offset flat-head screwdriver that can
deliver surprising torque.  Some of the angles are a bit close and a
little clearancing out of the side of the rule where it contacts the tray
(between about 10 and 25mm would increase the arc you can achieve with
the screwdriver under the tray.  Now it takes 15 minutes instead of 2 1/2
hours to tighten the screws.

chuckbeck

Chuck Beck Piano Services
1605 West Main St., Decatur, Il 62522