Plate load- piano engineers know this?--how?

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 04:01:19 MDT 2007

Greetings,

         Is there any way to view exactly how stringing a piano effects the
stress on the harp plate? For example, if you had an unstrung plate and only
strung the bass would it have any compressive or tensile stress effect/changes
on the high treble section of that plate and visa-versa ; stringing only the
high treble...effects bass section of plate?

          What if you only strung the center, would that have any effect on
either bass or treble end or both? How can I get an idea of what are those
stresses are and is there any way they can be viewed graphically or measured
throughout the casting?

           Is the only way we know that the stresses are present is by how
the piano behaves during a pitch raise? And how do we separate/differentiate
what forces are happening in the plate, as opposed to what stresses are absorbed
by the bridges and the force they are either releiving or transferring off the
plate to themselves or elsewhere in the instrument, i.e. transfered to the
sound board and/or case and/or rim? Do piano companies' R&D have a way of
testing these things? If so how?

Thanks in advance,
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA