Bolduc hybrid pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 25 22:06:22 MDT 2007

> Looks more like three thick laminations of Pianoteck Maple Multilam and
> two thicker pieces of solid maple. Doesn't really look like a Delignit
> cap to me. I'm not quite sure what going on there......

Assuming a 1.5" block, close to 25 layers of the thin stuff
would fit in there if it were all thin stuff, which is nearly
Delignit density, except it looks like maple. I expect they're
making it. And yea, I don't see the point of the layering
configuration either.

> Below is a picture of a Pianotech multilam capped with a thin piece of
> Delignit pinblock material.
>
> Below is a quarter-sawn hard-maple pinblock capped with a piece of
> Delignit bridge-cap material. The quarter-sawn nature of this block is
> similar to the original Bolduc design.

I've settled on about 9mm of Delignit (somewhere between the
capping thicknesses shown in the photos) on multilam maple
blocks, as an optimal balance between performance and cost.

> Interesting. I wonder what is the story with that Bolduc stuff......

Me too. The real one, that is.
Ron N