SV: Re: iron wound strings

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Thu Apr 26 01:33:03 MDT 2007

Philippe,
A "dumb" string does not produce partials - or very little. Sounds like knocking your finger on wood.
Such strings can be badly made or they can have too big mass for the specific speaking lenght.
You might have seen it in some small grands from Grotrian and others where they have put in strings with 3 cupper wounds. They are not able to vibrate even if heavy hard hammers are used.
The strings might even "die" simply of age. Another stringkiller is when a mouse has come into the piano and take a pee on the basstrings.

Philippe Errembault <phil.errembault at skynet.be> skrev:       Hello Everybody, Hello Aras

 A novice question...

 What does it means, when you say that a string  goes "Dumb", or 'Dead" like Vince Mrykalo said ?
 What happens in terms of sound, and in terms of its  inner structure ? How do you recognise it ?

 Best regards,

 Philippe Errembault