iron wound strings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 03:36:01 MDT 2007

At 9:33 am +0200 26/4/07, Aras wrote:

>A "dumb" string does not produce partials - or very little. Sounds
>like knocking your finger on wood.
>Such strings can be badly made or they can have too big mass for the
>specific speaking lenght.
>You might have seen it in some small grands from Grotrian and others
>where they have put in strings with 3 cupper wounds. They are not
>able to vibrate even if heavy hard hammers are used.

The triple-covered strings fitted to Grotrian, Schiedmayer etc. baby
grands work well enough if they are in good condition, given the
limitation in size of such pianos.  Last week I made a set of strings
for a Marshall and Rose baby grand which required 4 triple-covered
strings and yesterday passed by the shop I'd made them for to hear
the result, which was very satisfactory.  I think the fattest string
I have every seen was from a Schiedmayer and measured almost 10mm.
Nobody is going to rave about the low bass on a 4'3" piano no matter
how the soundboard and strings are designed and how well they are
matched, but high tension achieved by triple covers on a thick core
is a necessity for certain makes of piano of this length.  There is
no shortage of partials -- it's just that all the partials are
inharmonic.  The strings will only be "dumb" if they are badly made
or have deteriorated through damp, as you have said.

A "dumb" string, which will "rattle" or "buzz", is a string where the
covers, for one reason or another, have lost their intimate and
immovable contact with each other or with the core wire and where the
energy, instead of being expressed in harmonic vibration is spent in
shaking the copper and steel and creating heat.

JD