Getting the plate out (safely)

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Apr 26 17:59:17 MDT 2007

Hi Phil,

I know you already have the hoist, but my preference is also for a chain hoist.

As far as how to mount it, it sounds like you should be OK on the steel Hambro system, but here's another option.  My Dad has a chainfall in his shop that is mounted on about an 8' swinging steel arm.  That arm is mounted to a 6" (guessing here) steel pipe that is in turn bolted to one of the main supports on the wall.

In other words, the structure runs up the wall about 9', then has an arm that comes off that which can swing out over the shop and then swing back when not in use.  I'm considering something similar as my shop plans get finalized.

Good Luck,
William R. Monroe

PS, Paul, I'd enjoy the picture.

  Phil:

  I have a 14 foot long I-beam attached to my 16 foot ceilings so that I can pull a plate with the 1-ton chain hoist (I have two) attached to a trolley on the I-beam and run the plate off to the side to be lowered to a truck. If you want a picture, I can get one to you.

  Paul