Getting the plate out (safely)

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Apr 27 03:13:30 MDT 2007

At 00:54 4/27/2007, you wrote:
>I used a chain hoist for many years and there is
>something about having that tactile feedback to
>judge whether the plate is coming up freely or
>not. The downside is having to deal with that
>loop of chain – which side to pull on and what
>to do with that bunch of chain that hangs down
>on your newly refinished soundboard or plate.

I also have a chain hoist, and agree about the
tactile feedback to control the lift.  Soon after
I installed it, I rolled a grand under it and
determined how much the chain loop should be
shortened so that the loop doesn't reach the
plate/soundboard/rim level. Any welder can do that for you.

I place a cardboard box on the plate for the loop
to feed in and out of when the plate is raised.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.