Plate Removal & Spraying

Philip Jamison mortier9 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 06:12:34 MDT 2007

I use an engine hoist to remove plates. My shop is always too stuffed with
pianos to keep space clear for a ceiling-mounted hoist. The engine hoist (by
Bluebird) is large but it disassembles. It's on wheels, so the plate can be
moved about and set on sawhorses for spraying.

Speaking of plate spraying, here's a tip a friend told me: I often use
canned gold spray paint, but found the top clear coat problematic as it made
the gold blotchy. My friend uses Krylon or Rustoleum metallic gold and top
coats with spray shellac (available at most home centers and hardware
stores). Shellac adheres well but does no melt the lacquer coat. I tried it
with good results.

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA