Data logger

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:17:55 MDT 2007

I was out tuning today and it suddenly hit me that I hadn't mentioned
the bottom covers. Yes, these are 8 B's, all with undercovers, and
all with 2-tank systems.

With no systems these pianos changed 45 cents with the changes of
season. With old single tank systems they still changed more than 20
cents. Now with 2-tank systems and undercovers, one changes maybe 6
cents but that prof isn't so good about watering. The rest stay at
pitch.

I agree about the top covers. Bottom covers should be much higher
priority than string covers. I have a D with a 2 tank system, and top
and bottom covers. (It is in a challenging environment with heat/AC
vents blowing across the top of the piano.) This piano, even with air
blowing across it all the time, stays at pitch within a couple cents.
I credit the string cover in this particular case.

Dean, as for whether these are overkill, I don't think they are. If
for no other reason, I like the 2 tank systems because they hold
twice the water, and might not have to be watered as often as single
tank systems, which is an important consideration at the university.

Kent