Data logger

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Fri Apr 27 20:12:49 MDT 2007

Hi Barbara,

DC systems without bottom covers always struggle.

If the lid is fully closed then the string cover may be redundant as far as
humidity control goes. When a piano is used for performance then some
performers may prefer it to be removed totally from the instrument. Bottom
covers work--and so do string covers. String covers may be a fairly pricy
item compared to bottom covers.

If I were doing a 7 or 9 foot and price were no object I'd have a dual tank
DC system with bottom cover, string cover and a floor length padded cover.
If price is more important than performance I'd first eliminate the 2nd
tank, and then the string cover and finally the padded cover. I will not
install a grand DC system without a bottom cover.

At 04:37 PM 4/27/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey Don,
>
>Hmm, I don't get it.  The string cover only works when the lid is not fully
>closed?   Wouldn't it be working all the time, too? (Unless if you removed
>it, that is.)   Except in the case of "breezy" conditions where I understand
>the DC system would struggle, I would think that the string cover might have
>an advantage because it covers the air access to the action cavity, too.  I
>could be mistaken, though.  For my own personal curiosity, I'd like someone
>to do a side by side study.  :-)
>
>Maybe I'll check with a couple of my customers who had undercovers installed
>a while after the DC system and see what the difference in filling the tank
>turned out to be.  But surely someone has figures on that (probably DC).
>
>Barbara Richmond,
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner