Plate Removal & Spraying

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Apr 28 08:58:19 MDT 2007

When applying gold to a plate, I mix the bronzing powder with clear lacquer
with a fast evaporating thinner (R-M)* and spray a few  mist coats before
applying for uniform coverage. Then add clear to the cup and keep spraying
with the lower-content gold material.

For clear coat, start out with a light, mist coat or two and then proceed
to finish coat.  You could also add thinner to the cup on your second top coat
for better flow-out or a use slow (*) evaporating thinner or use a
blush resistant
retarder.

Discoloration comes from overloading one spot with finish material
(either gold or clear) or you had touched the surface causing oxidation
or sanded. Do not sand gold and apply clear; if you sand the gold surface,
respray more gold, then clear.

For lettering, I use a waterbased paint so a botched character isn't etched
into the finish but can simply be wiped off. No top coat required
over lettering.
No, Magic Markers are not good to use. They might look OK for a while but
fade in a few years and then look bad.

* automotive finish products
http://www.rmpaint.net/grandbr/accueil.htm
--