Plate Removal & Spraying

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 17:40:20 MDT 2007

At 5:32 pm -0400 28/4/07, Jon Page wrote:

>High Gloss water-base paint is perfect.  Apply, let dry. Done.

Chinese ink is also excellent.  I always use that, hand ground, with
a Chinese writing brush.

As for the gilding I always use special pale French polish (shellac)
as the medium.  Until recently I have always used standard powders of
about 40 microns but am now beginning to use a fine powder of about
14 microns.  This requires me to spray the gilding very soon indeed
after mixing, since the smaller bronze particles oxidize far more
quickly in suspension in the fluid, which will far more quickly turn
green -- an unforeseen hazard, but not a serious problem.  I'll
simply have to work a bit faster.

JD