signing 8283 IRS appraisal form

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 16:18:46 MDT 2007

Pianos are donated to a local non-profit frequently.
I used to give the donor an appraisal of it's "value"
which they, more often than not, wanted higher than
what the piano would command.

After reading the IRS rules regarding donations
and appraisals, the donor can only claim a deduction
for what the item actually sold for, not some pie-in-the-sky
intrinsic value. IRS rules also stipulates than the appraiser
can not be associated with the institution or donor.

I tell the donors that the institution will send them the
appropriate documentation. I'll advise the institution
of the piano's FMV for something they keep (what
they do for an outside appraisal is not my concern).
Pianos donated usually are sold for fund raising,
I do place a figure on those and the donor will get the
deduction for the amount for which it sells.
--

Regards,

Jon Page