Wobbling Wurlizter

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Mon Apr 30 09:47:48 MDT 2007

I just worked on a 4'7" C143 Wurlitzer "grand" that moved around like an
old ping pong table as I was trying to tune it. The piano is about 8
years old and has been relocated one time. I tightened the 6 leg bolts
that were fairly loose, but that didn't do much for the wobbling. Also,
the lyre was about to fall off, so I tightened all the bolts and screws
that were barely threaded in by the movers who failed to set it up properly.

I assume this wobbling is a standard feature for this type of piano, but
I'd like to fix it next time I tune the piano. Does anyone have a trick
for this type of thing? I searched the list archives and didn't find
anything.

Also, the "stick-on" soundboard decal is rolling up at the edges and may
eventually contact the strings. This looks like back-printed clear vinyl
or some other clear, adhesive-backed decal material. Pulling the decal
off the rest of the way might be a cosmetic improvement, but I'm sure
the owner would prefer to have it tacked back down. I just don't know
what kind of adhesive to use because I don't want to use anything that
soaks into the soundboard.

--
believed to be clean.