New bass strings, some dead

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 21:48:13 MDT 2007

Do you mean the he’s the best string maker you’ve encountered or you like
his scales?  There is a difference.  I am dubious of “string making” claims
as reasons for great tone but do put a lot of credence in scale design.
There are some excellent string makers whose scales you may or may not like
but who do precision work.  I’ve used JD Grandt for awhile now and he
recommends ½ turn.  I’ve installed a couple by mistake with no turn and
there really wasn’t any difference in tone.  Sanderson strings also don’t
require a full turn in order to “come alive” nor do Arledge.  When I used
Mapes strings (awhile now) they routinely needed to be twisted or they
sounded dead—and sometimes they sounded dead anyway.  While I can’t say I
understand the mechanics of twisting I do wonder whether it’s a compensation
of some sort or whether the twisting happens during the wrapping process
with some makers and not with others.  Anyway, all you string making
experts, please enlighten me.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com