North Bennett

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 13:17:39 MDT 2007

Inre the North Bennet Street School, Cy writes:
<< It's not cheap, but it's focused training by four expert instructors who
have refined their techniques over the years.  <<

            I respectfully disagree!  It is the cheapest career choice I have
ever made.  For value received, the tuition is virtually nothing.  There is
no other educational opportunity I know of that will allow you to make several
times the cost of your tuition the first year out of school.  I know of more
than a few Master's degrees that are hard pressed to make as much money as a
fully involved RPT.  Compared to the cost of six years at a university, the NBSS
is almost a freebie.

>>Mentoring is great, but it would probably take a lot more time to cover the
same material. <<

        There is another aspect.  While mentoring is a great improvement over
learning by correspondence or trial and error, you will still learn the
idiosyncrasies of your mentor, and no one is perfect.  By learning in a formal
training program, you will get the benefit of many different approaches that have
been filtered through years of proof.  While I was there(1975),  Bill always
told us to try anything new, while teaching us the historically proven way.
Since then, I have discovered CA, (a totally non-traditional life-saver for some
pianos), SAT, which offers an unbeatable opportunity to refine one's own
tunings through repeated refinements stored to memory, as well as numerous other
ways to save time while still doing superior work.

>>NBSS has been teaching piano technology for at least 35 years, going back
to William Garlick of Steinway fame.   >>

       Eddie Coglin was the instructor before Bill, and I think there were
others before him.  I was fortunate to have been taught by David Betts, who is
still there, and Bill.  (and Bill's fame was well secured long before Steinway
hired him to develop their training courses).

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>