Bandsaw Candy

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 4 15:31:17 MDT 2007

Got a new toy: the Laguna Tool Driftmaster Bandsaw Fence System. Seems to work very well. Once things are locked in, it seems to be very secure and stable. The main feature with this fence is it's ease of drift adjustment and easy accurate incremental advancement of the fence for cutting multiple consistent thickness veneers (or however thick of a cut). It also has an extra long fence and part of it is actually a table extension. I have this installed on my Laguna LT16HD, but I believe it can be adapted to most any bandsaw.

Picture below shows fence system. Wheel on left is a screw drive to advance the fence. Each white mark on the wheel will advance the fence 0.2 mm. So whatever thickness you want your veneer, just advance the screw drive that much plus your kerf. There seems to be zero slop in the advance - you turn the wheel 0.1 mm and the fence advances 0.1 mm - lock that puppy in and it is right there on the money.

Two locking screws on top position fence for and aft. Two locking screws on vertical face lock in fence angle. Circular thing with knobs on bottom adjusts fence angle for drift.

Picture below is cutting a piece of mahogany that is about 4.5 mm thick. I am cutting it in half and will get two veneers about 1.7 mm thick and the rest is kerf sawdust.
Don't look too close at my featherboard. It is my latest attempt at the ultimate featherboard. It seems to work reasonably well, but is far from perfect.

Cuttin' that veneer and holding things steady!

I think I like this gizmo.  :-)

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com