An improvement on the Schaff bass-string twister/installer would be.....

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 22:53:26 MDT 2007

At 7:04 pm -0500 7/8/07, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>I seem to have lost track here - not surprising, considering it's
>me, but are we talking about replacing an individual string or
>restringing? Individual string replacement, pin-in, the Vise-Grip(s)
>or functional equivalent(s) work great. Restringing, the pin with
>the coil wound on is an ideal T-handle with which to twist the
>string (hitch engaged) before driving it into the block.

I quite agree, and suggested to a new customer only yesterday, who
had asked which way the winding went on my strings, that he do the
twisting from the wrestpin end and save himself a lot of time.  On
the same day I needed to replace a low bass string on a vertical
strung Lipp (a fine piano) using the original wrestpin.  The hitchpin
here was in fact below the level of the bottom board, but even if it
had been more accessible I would have used the little grips to put
the turn in the string.

JD