Stringing Faux Pas or Not Taught Anymore?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 8 10:21:47 MDT 2007

> In the plain wire section I wipe down the strings with a rag dipped in
> Protek after each group of unisons, especially the area under the
> dampers.  With Roslau wire it cleans the strings of residue and also
> seems to prevent corrosion from forming (at least for awhile) which
> helps keep the trichords from swishing (trimming them properly helps
> that too).

The two primary reasons for me switching to Mapes IG wire is
the higher breaking strength, and it's cleanliness. It doesn't
leave my hands coated in black grease, and I don't have to
clean the strings after installation. It's actually cheaper
too, though that wasn't a considered factor in switching.
.
Ron N