Stringing Faux Pas or Not Taught Anymore?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 11:02:49 MDT 2007

At 11:21 am -0500 8/8/07, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>The two primary reasons for me switching to Mapes IG wire is the
>higher breaking strength, and it's cleanliness. It doesn't leave my
>hands coated in black grease, and I don't have to clean the strings
>after installation. It's actually cheaper too, though that wasn't a
>considered factor in switching.

The trouble with the R wire is not only that it is not specially
clean, which is easy enough to remedy, but that the surface is not
always smooth and I have experienced great variability in the quality
of the polish, especially in the past.  The latest batch I have is
almost acceptable but until I see it repeated over a long period I'll
put that down to chance and not to any genuine attempt at the factory
to improve.  The more people complain directly to Roeslau the better.
There are now alternatives in Europe as well.

JD