Curious tuner tech markings

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Tue Aug 14 18:39:01 MDT 2007

Greetings all --

I have inherited a small school district as a customer. Three elementary,
two middle and one senior high. 14 pianos in all. All of them on the verge
of dying outright. Some as old as 1902. Anyway, my hat is off to the
previous tuner, (now deceased), who serviced these pianos for apparently
decades. He did an amazing job of just keeping them together and every year
making them last just one year longer. Not the prettiest work, but
functionally and successfully counteracting the destructive powers of age
and school kids. And the schools got to keep the pianos for another year.
Anyway, I notice on every single piano, he had painted the tips of the
tuning pins white on all notes C, E and G. My first thought was that perhaps
he was partially sighted and this helped him navigate the pins. But he very
neatly penciled in each of his tunings somewhere on the piano. (A lot of
entries on some of these pianos.) So, um. Why do you think he only labeled
C, E and G?

This is not a puzzle as I don't know the answer. I'm just curious.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles