long term grand storage

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 18:45:12 MDT 2007

Joel writes:

<<  My situation is a grand that is
new, but has been in storage 2 years and will likely remain there
another 3 or more.
I'm wondering what happens to the felt bushings?<<

       The moment arm between the two sides of the hammer flanges is not only
shorter,(hence, providing gravity with more leverage), than from the pin to
the knuckle,(which is supporting the weight of the hammer and shank), but the
entire weight is bearing on the two bushings.  Normally, the weight is bearing
on the bushings and the jack.  This would seem to increase the distortion of
the flange bushings.  However,  I took care of several road pianos that
traveled many thousands of miles, in a semi trailer, on their sides, and I never
found any evidence that the bushings were compromised.  Surprised me!

>>Is there any relief  for the weight of the hammer on the bushings?>>

        You could set the piano up,(or take the action out), and clamp a
padded rail above and below the hammers, fastening it securely to the action
brackets.  this would keep the weight from being applied to the bushings.  I don't
know if it would make any difference, though.

Ed Foote RPT
the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>