Tiny pieces in butts

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 16:58:34 MDT 2007

Jurgen Goering wrote:
> ...Cutting the materials and getting the butts all uniform and
> consistent can be a challenge, but it can be done. Perhaps
> gang-clamping five or six butts and laying in strip instead of tiny
> pieces, and cutting apart later would achieve good results? I have not
> done it this way, but I would try it next time.
That is the way I do it when I am recovering butts, and it is not only
much quicker but makes a far neater job.  I normally do eight at a
time.  I use the same blade for cutting them apart as I use for the
guillotine mentioned in my last message -- and I always use hide glue,
not only because it's fastest.

JD