rust

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 16:47:52 MDT 2007

I have Flitz and use it for many applications - a great product. But it
isn't going to polish rusty pins that are so pitted that they are tearing up
a polishing cloth. The pins need to be replaced, period, end of story.

You can replace a set of pins faster than you can polish them when they are
as pitted as described. It doesn't take that long.

However, being that I've never met a 70 year old Winter spinet that was
worth any significant repair, IMHO, this may be just the situation needed
for the owner to be pushed over the edge and just put the poor thing to
sleep forever. BTW, if the pins are so corroded that they are tearing up
your cloth, I can only assume that the key bushings are toast as well. Now
you're up to $300 - $400 in repairs, plus tuning, and do we really want to
believe those are the only repairs this piano needs?

Put it out of it's misery!

Sounds to me like "the straw that broke the camel's back"......

Terry Farrell